Flock finish third in News 12’s Top 10 of 2012 list
(Central Islip, N.Y., Jan. 2, 2013) – News 12 Long Island has chosen their Top 10 local sports moments of 2012, and the Ducks’ Atlantic League championship victory has been selected as the Number Three moment of the year.
CLICK HERE to watch the full Top 10 show (Ducks revealed at 8:35 in video)
The only two stories that were ranked higher than the Ducks’ victory were the New York Giants’ victory in Super Bowl XLVI and the announcement that the New York Islanders would be moving to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Here is the complete Top 10 list:
1. Giants win Super Bowl XLVI
2. Islanders announce they will move to Brooklyn in 2015
3. Ducks win 2012 Atlantic League championship
4. Tebow-mania comes to the Jets
5. Multiple Long Island schools win Lacrosse State Titles
6. Lin-sanity sweeps New York
7. Stony Brook University baseball reaches the College World Series
8. Local athletes assist in Hurricane Sandy recovery
9. Johan Santana pitches a no-hitter for the Mets
10. Seven Long Islanders compete in the Olympics
The Ducks earned their second Atlantic League title with a 5-4 waddle-off win over the Lancaster Barnstormers on Sunday, October 7 at Bethpage Ballpark. It marked the first time the team has won the championship since 2004 and the first time ever winning it on their home field. Dan Lyons was named the Championship Series MVP after earning two game-winning hits in the series, including a walk-off bunt single in the ninth inning of the deciding Game Five.
The Long Island Ducks are members of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball and play their home games at Bethpage Ballpark. For further information, call (631) 940-DUCK or visit www.liducks.com.